I'm afraid you misunderstood one important point about this.  You can't
avoid the "taglib" directive in your JSP.  The only difference in the
two strategies is what "uri" attribute you use in those taglib
directives in your JSP.  If you remove the taglib elements from your
web.xml, then the JSP taglib directives just use the "uri" that is
specified in the taglib TLD file (assuming the TLD is stored at the root
of your taglib jar).