Specifically for the <bean:message> tag, the message resource is
either the bundle attribute (or Globals.MESSAGES_KEY if none
specified), searched in this order:
1) Page scope
2) Request scope
3) Struts Module "scope"
4) Application scope
You may define message resources in (3) and (4) via the struts configs.

Look at http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/struts-bean.html (more
generically, struts-*.html where * is the struts taglib prefix)

Finally, for the bean and logic struts taglibs, here is a note from
the struts team:

"Note: - Some of the features in this taglib are also available in the
JavaServer Pages Standard Tag Library (JSTL). The Struts team
encourages the use of the standard tags over the Struts specific tags
when possible."
[ http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/dev_bean.html ]
[ http://struts.apache.org/userGuide/dev_logic.html ]

-Rahul