Hello again,

I would like to improve the performance of a tag-lib I have created.
Some obvious optimizations would be to turn things like:
---------------
out.print(" href=\""+href+"\"");
//title is optional
if (!title.equals("")) {
out.print(" title=\""+title+"\""); }
---------------
into (is this what they call "string internalization"?):
---------------
final static String HREF_ATT = " href=\"";
final static String TITLE_ATT = " title=\"";
   :
StringBuffer sb = new StringBuffer();
  :
sb.append(HREF_ATT);
  :
out.print(sb.toString());
---------------

Before I start applying these changes, though, I would like to be able to sort of measure the improvements.
I tried something as basic as:

<%
long startTime = System.currentTimeMillis();

%><%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/tld/wall.tld" prefix="wall" %><wall:document><wall:xmlpidtd />
 :
<wall:body>
<wall:menu colorize="true" autonumber="true">
  <wall:a href="http://url1"; title="Games">Games</wall:a>
  <wall:a href="http://url2"; title="Horos">Horoscopes</wall:a>
  <wall:a href="http://url1"; title="Kids">Kids</wall:a>
<wall:a href="http://url2"; title="Movies"><wall:b>Movies</wall:b></wall:a>
  <wall:a href="http://url1"; title="Music">Music</wall:a>
  <wall:a href="http://url2"; title="Radio">Radio</wall:a>
  <wall:a href="http://url2"; title="TV">TV</wall:a>
</wall:menu>
</wall:body>
</wall:document>
<%
long stopTime = System.currentTimeMillis();
long elapsedTime = stopTime - startTime;
System.out.println(elapsedTime);
%>

the problem is that when I reload the page, the number of milliseconds is zero and occasionally 8,9 or 10 (I see output in the tomcat console running on my laptop, so I am sure that the browser is not caching).

Questions:

- is there something I am getting basically wrong?
- is my tag-lib optimized enough that I don't need to care about further optimization? possibly
 because the compiler/JVM already did the optimization for me?
- are there better ways/tools to measure tag-lib performance?

Thanks

Luca