I'm processing an XML file and trying to get the value stored in the ProductURL
attribute of a node.

  I'm doing this:
  <c:set var="value"><x:out select="@ProductURL"/></c:set>

  When I output the value of @ProductURL , with just x:out, I get this:

  http://www.something.com?qs1=some_value&qs2=another_value
(Notice how the ampersand is not escaped in the above URL generated from x:out)

But when I do
<c:redirect url="${value}"/> it is not working properly because , the URL
stored inside value has escaped ampersands and c:redirect
requires unescaped ampersands

I could do this to get the unescaped URL:
<c:out value="${value}" escapeXml="false"/>

  But, I need the unescaped url in a variable so that it can be added to the
url attribute of
<c:redirect url="${value}"/>

See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.