Sorry my mistake, I overlooked the ampersand escaping
in HTML4.0 href attribute.

& is required in a URL query string in order for
the document to be validated as valid HTML4.0 with
either loose or strict dtd.

Then probably the original recommendation made on this
thread should be implemented in the c:param tag so
that we only use
${someURLWithEscapedAmpersandInQueryString}

instead of
<c:out
value="${someURLWithUnescapedAmpersandInQueryString}"
escapeXml="true" / >

Where the value of c:out above is obtained from
c:url with nested c:params

-Rashmi

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html#didx-character_entity_references>