I'm wondering if protected configureFormatter(NumberFormat) is best,
or if the better option is to have a protected void
reconfigureFormatter(NumberFormat) method that is invokved at the end
of that method.

So by default the configureFormatter is always run, and then the user
can hook in to do whatever they want to the NumberFormat. A similar
reconfigureFormatter(DateFormat) could be added to the
FormatDateSupport class.

What do you think?