I think the real question is how failures are correlated and what the
recovery expectations are.

If you look at a company with staff, and consider disks independent,
then many faliures are just a disk.  If the motherboard fails, you'd
have a spare and move the disks.  But there is also a fire/flood in the
datacenter.

In a cypherpunk-style grid, you have many people and any of them might
go away.

So we really need to know and have expressed about administrative
control and physical correlation, and then a way to talk about what we
care about and what might happen, all of this driving share placement.
I know, ENOPATCH.