On 2011-01-05 18:48, Brian Warner wrote:

>> Author: david-sarah <david-sa...@jacaranda.org>
>> Date:   Thu Dec 30 22:00:39 2010 -0800
>>
>>     Update foolscap version requirement to 0.6.0, to address
>>     http://foolscap.lothar.com/trac/ticket/167
>>
>> -                  "foolscap[secure_connections] >= 0.5.1",
>> +                  # foolscap < 0.6 is incompatible with Twisted 10.2.0.
>> +                  "foolscap[secure_connections] >= 0.6.0",
>
> Sigh. While I understand the utility of this change, and I'm not sure I
> could suggest something better, it makes me sad, because we don't
> actually need the newer foolscap most of the time. Very few people are
> using Twisted-10.2 right now, because it's only been out for a month, so
> it's not in any linux/bsd distributions: the only way to get it is to
> install it yourself (or if tahoe's "setup.py build" decides to fetch
> it), and in that case you're probably also installing foolscap yourself.

Unfortunately, there is no way that I know of to declare a conditional
dependency on 'foolscap[secure_connections] >= 0.6.0' if the version of
Twisted we are using is 10.2. All of the requirements need to be specified
at once, and then setuptools will do its thing (which may or may not
satisfy the dependencies). I am not defending setuptools; I think we need
to get rid of it post-haste (but not in a point release).

The alternative would be to declare the Twisted dependency as excluding
10.2.

> But for everyone else, this introduces a needless incompatibility. For
> example, the folks running on the current Ubuntu long-term support
> release ("Lucid") get twisted-10.0 and foolscap-0.5.1, which Tahoe
> handled just fine a few days ago. My local development tree just stopped
> working after pulling the change, because I've got twisted-10.1 and
> foolscap-0.5.1 .

'setup.py build' should download a foolscap 0.6.0 egg and use it, assuming
that a network connection to tahoe-lafs.org or foolscap.lothar.com is
available. Why didn't this work for you?

(This might not be what people who prefer their OS package manager to handle
dependencies would like, but it isn't an incompatible change, when it works.)