On 13/05/12 08:55, Michael Rogers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here are a few notes I made while trying out version 1.8.2 of
> Tahoe-LAFS. I thought a newbie's perspective on the setup process
> might be useful. I apologise if any of these are out of date, they're
> from last September.

Thanks for the feedback; it's not out of date.

> 1. On Ubuntu, 'python setup.py build' fails unless the python-dev
> package is installed.

This happens when it needs to compile a dependency written in C/C++,
because there is no binary "egg" for that dependency. Can you tell
which dependency it tried to compile (usually there will be messages
from gcc)?

> 2. quickstart.rst says "verify that the executable tool prints out the
> right version number", but what's the right number? It prints several.

The one after 'allmydata-tahoe: '. Fixed in quickstart.rst.

> 3. running.rst recommends connecting to the public test grid, but the
> TestGrid wiki page says there's no longer a public gateway. I wasn't
> sure whether I needed a gateway (apparently not?).

There is no longer a *public* gateway, but you can use your own gateway
that points to the test grid.

I'm not sure that running.rst should still be recommending that, though.

> 4. The client's welcome page has scary red warning about not being
> connected to a helper. I wasn't sure whether I needed a helper
> (apparently not?).

You don't, and the banner should not be red.
Filed as <https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1735>.

> 5. There weren't enough servers in the test grid to upload a file, so
> I had to change shares.happy to 4.

<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1082>, and
<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1596> for a better error
message in this case.

<https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/882>

> 7. I couldn't find a nice way to shut down the client.

bin/tahoe stop

This is documented in 'bin/tahoe --help' and in docs/frontends/CLI.rst.
Is there any way we could improve the documentation to make it more
obvious?

> 8. After restarting the client, I couldn't find the URI of the file I
> uploaded in the first session.

Generally we recommend to create a directory and an alias pointing to
it using 'tahoe create-alias', then upload files into that directory.
How could we improve the docs here?

Filed as <https://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/tahoe-lafs/ticket/1736>.

--
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥