Dear Lukas Pirl:

Thanks for the data!

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Lukas Pirl <m...@lukas-pirl.de> wrote:

>      * Timings:
>      * File Size: 1073741824 bytes
>      * Total: 7 minutes (2.32MBps)
>      * Storage Index: 47 seconds (22.84MBps)
>      * Peer Selection: 6.12s
>      * Encode And Push: 6 minutes (2.65MBps)
>      * Cumulative Encoding: 55 seconds (19.47MBps)

This means that the time spent in encryption and erasure-coding was 55 seconds.

>      * Cumulative Pushing: 5 minutes (3.07MBps)

This means that the time spent in sending blocks of ciphertext over
the network and waiting for the server to ACK each block was 5
minutes.

One thing that I'm not sure of is that you also reported that a CPU
core was maxed out in the gateway during upload. That is inconsistent
with my model of the uploader as spending most of its time idle,
waiting for an ACK to come back over the network from the storage
server that the block it sent has been received.

I have a suggestion for a configuration parameter you could tweak that
might change this performance.

But before I do, I have a question for you: why are you running the
gateway on the device that stores the data? That means you're
transferring the cleartext of the file (by means of Nautilus,
apparently) over HTTP (or hopefully HTTPS if you configured that!) to
the gateway, and the gateway is storing the file (in cleartext) on the
SSD in a tempfile, and then once it is done transferring the gateway
then encrypts and "uploads" the file to the storage server process
that is running on the same device. (Then the gateway deletes the
tempfile.)

Instead, if you ran the gateway on the computer where the original
file-to-be-backed-up lives, and left Nautilus out of it, and ran
"tahoe backup $DIRECTORY" on the directory that contained the original
file-to-be-backed-up, then this might improve things significantly.

Regards,

Zooko