Natanael wrote:
> Den 16 feb 2015 12:53 skrev "Adonay Sanz" <adonay.s...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hi Natanael Thanks for answering. Really I'm noob in this area.
>>
>> I wanted to use I2P version. So, it's no possible way present or
>> future
> to block it? It's a really threat?
>> Can you explainme better what it means "configured to mimic
>> Freenet"?
>
> Freenet caches files you request, and caches some files other
> people request via you. Then it replies to requests from others
> and forwards requests as well. Tahoe-LAFS in I2P mode mimics this
> behaviour.

No it doesn't. Data storage and caching for Tahoe-LAFS in I2P is
identical to standard Tahoe-LAFS.

> In I2P it isn't certain you'll be able to find honest nodes which
> have the data you are asking for. They can send fake replies, and
> even though your software will know the replies are wrong it will
> have to spend a lot of effort on searching for the correct data.
> So a Sybil attack can be used for censorship.
>
> But if you know of honest nodes, and the honest nodes are well
> connected in the network, then the requests will reach those nodes
> and the correct reply will come back. But the fake nodes can
> overload the honest nodes to slow things down.

I don't see how this is any different to standard Tahoe-LAFS.

The only difference between standard and I2P Tahoe-LAFS is the
addition of HTTP proxy support (to enable I2P communication, although
better ways are in discussion in Tahoe-LAFS and Foolscap Trac
tickets), and support for multiple introducers (so that one going down
does not kill the entire I2P Tahoe-LAFS network).

Other than that, there is no difference. Non-honest Tahoe-LAFS nodes
are perfectly capable of joining a standard Tahoe-LAFS network and
sending fake replies. So any Sybil attack on the I2P Tahoe-LAFS
network would be directly applicable to a standard Tahoe-LAFS network.

I should point out that there is a distinct difference between a Sybil
attack on Tahoe-LAFS, and a Sybil attack on I2P itself. An adversary
_could_ execute a Sybil attack on I2P, but the most they could do to
affect the I2P Tahoe-LAFS network is attempt an Eclipse attack on the
I2P Destinations of Tahoe-LAFS nodes. The I2P Tahoe-LAFS network uses
B32 addresses to refer to nodes, and an Eclipse attack could cause
lookups of these B32s to fail.

The scale needed to block out all regular nodes would be completely
impractical, however, given that the I2P Tahoe-LAFS network is one of
the largest known Tahoe-LAFS networks, and an attacker would need to
conduct a partial-keyspace attack against each legitimate node
independently. They could instead target the introducers, but that
would be noticed as an attack _very_ quickly.

And even this attack has an equivalent for standard Tahoe-LAFS
networks: an adversary could cause the DNS lookups of hostnames for
regular Tahoe-LAFS nodes to fail, or (at a lower level) prevent
connections to known Tahoe-LAFS node IPs. So I still don't see how I2P
Tahoe-LAFS is any weaker that standard Tahoe-LAFS.

str4d