On 9/1/17 4:57 PM, dawuud wrote:

Hi Folks,
Hi!

I haven't seen much activity on this list of late, and the last release was
back in January - which leads me to wonder the current status of Tahoe-LAFS.
Yes, I agree that the Tahoe mailing list is rather quiet for long streches of
time.
Of course Tahoe-LAFS is still actively being developed and you can easily see
all of this activity on the master branch on github:

https://github.com/tahoe-lafs/tahoe-lafs/commits/master

I'm sorry if I got the wrong idea from your e-mail... but it sounded like you
are asking if the project is abandoned.

Well, maybe.  I saw the activity on github, but nothing on the list from Zooko or any of the other key people - which kind of gave me pause.

On a broader note, I wonder about how many people/organizations are using
Tahoe-LAFS in a production mode (beyond Least Authority).  I'm very
That's a very good question. Companies besides leastauthority; I'm not so sure.
I heard of at least two... but I don't recall the company names. Maybe they'll
chime in and write to this mailing list thread to say they exist.

interested in maturity, readiness for prime time, the largest installation
The project has been around for a while. 10 years? I am not the best person
to answer these questions... so I hope Brian Warner or someone else can tell us
how long the project has been around. I know there's been stable releases for
many years.

currently in operation, and any scaling/stress testing that's been done.
I don't know what you mean by scaling testing. But maybe someone else will chime
in with some insight.

It seems to be the ONLY dispersed file system that's stood the test of time, but I'm kind of interested in how it might work at "Internet scale" - anything about the largest installations, usage, etc.  As well as measurements/modeling that might talk about bandwidth and cpu requirements as a function of users/files/etc.

(In the wake of CrashPlan going out of the consumer backup business, I'm
I've never heard of CrashPlan before. Is their software open source?
I wasn't able to find any source code. I feel very strongly that proprietary
crypto software shouldn't be taken seriously because of lack of peer review.

CrashPlan is pretty much the best of the commercial backup services around.  But.. they recently decided to focus on the small business market (at a higher cost/year/desktop).  There's some transition time available, and a deep discount if you switch to the small business service (which makes sense for me) - but it brought me back to thinking that it's time to start thinking about large scale, persistant, storage-as-a-utility, that isn't tied to a single vendor.  A federation of Tahoe-LAFS providers strikes me as a possible way to go.

starting to think that it's time for somebody to set up a very-large-scale,
cooperative, persistent storage fabric.  Tahoe-LAFS sure looks like the
By fabric I guess you mean infrastructure? I love the idea of storage
infrastructure
allowing a great many people to share files. It's a very fun idea that we
haven't yet
implemented. There's some ideas floating around about how to do this.

See above.

There have been things like it before.  The ARPANET had the Datacomputer.  Oceanstore & Publius were nice experimental storage networks that were secure, dispersed, and persistent - but, without a financial model that supported ongoing operations. Seems like time to make another stab at it.  The business model is that hard part (think about building a federated ecosystem for a new protocol, and how to pay for it) - it's only been done a few times - email, the web, DNS, USENET.

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra