On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 11:15 AM Greg Troxel <g...@lexort.com> wrote:

> I've been paged out for a while, but previously looked after the
> tahoe-lafs package in pkgsrc, and am again because 2.7-only packages are
> causing extra maintenance burden and hence there is pressure to outright
> remove them.  Some of this may be well known, but I'll type more and
> assume less.

Hello Greg,

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for the excellent detail in this email.
The strategies / tradeoffs / challenges you outlined all seem to make sense
to me.

I think everyone who uses Tahoe is increasingly feeling the pressure from
the gradual wind-down of the Python 2.7 ecosystem.  The good news is that
the Python 3 porting effort is quite far along - modules that constitute
over 75% of the lines of Tahoe have been ported and many other modules are
partially ported.  It's hard to estimate when this will be done but I am
*hopeful* that we are looking at a Python 3-supporting release sometime
this Spring.  The effort has committed resources behind it so there's no
reason to think we won't be able to get over the finish line.

I'm curious about whether you think having magic-folder as an optional
dependency would be beneficial for your packaging efforts or the users of
those packages *after* the Python 3 port is complete, or if this is
mostly/entirely about working around the increasingly constrained state of
Python 2.7 libraries?

Regarding txtorcon, it is an optional dependency that enables Tahoe to run
over Tor.

Thanks for getting in touch,
Jean-Paul