Hi,

† wrote (20 Jul 2011 07:43:35 GMT) :
> ## Current progress:

>     document interface to locale-gen - DONE.

Last week you put some beginning of documentation in
todo/TailsGreeter; it was not sufficient IMHO, so I asked you to make
it more thorough.

So this week you leave last weeks's bits in their incomplete status,
and add the complete version of the documentation (great) to another
page (namely: todo/TailsGreeter/design), starting with "The first
argument for tails-lang-helper is the locale name".

Not mentionning the obvious typo (it has nothing to do with
tails-lang-helper), this is confusing as a whole.

>     make sure it's possible to choose language multiple times before 'forward'
> button
> pressed - DONE.

>     apply chosen language to gnome session - needs testing

I've seen nothing done in this area, so this seems more like a
postponed task than a "needs testing" one.

>     borrow ubiquity widgets for keyboard layout if possible - DONE.
>     create keyboard layout widget - in progress.

This is a bit short. Please tell us what tails-greeter is currently
able to show and/or do about keyboard layout.

>     update requestor widget to hide password while typing - DONE.
>     Convert packages to dh_python2 because python-support is deprecated -
> merge
>     dh_python2 branch - DONE.
>     pressing 'enter' in password request widget should be equal to button
> click
> - DONE.

Great.

>     version tag and update - DONE.

Great. I miss an updated binary package in your tails.git repo, though.

> ## Problems:

> What's the best way to check that chosen language was actually
> applied to gnome session in Debian? 1) dpkg-reconfigure locales 2)
> choose supported locale 3) ???

Try running the "locale" command.

> are there some packages got to be installed?

We won't install packages at runtime, I think. The i18n/l10n packages
you need to test this, if any, should be installed at the time a Tails
image is built.

> some env vars set?

Sure, see "locale".

> what should change as a result of proper language choice? In short -
> test-case description is missing.

Wow. It's been clear from the beginning the goal of this sub-project
was to replace Tails' current syslinux menu. So the test-case is
pretty well described I believe.

  1. Boot an unpatched Tails 0.7.2
  2. Select one of the few supported languages in syslinux menu
  3. Let the boot go on
  4. See what happens wrt. keyboard layout, UI language, etc.

More? See the implementation notes I've written a few weeks ago:
  https://tails.boum.org/todo/TailsGreeter/#index3h2
(Some of it belongs to the wrongly named tails-locale-gen, some of it
belongs to the greeter itself I think.)

Also, tails-greeter is a GDM greeter supposed to replace
gdm-simple-greeter, so what it should do wrt. language and kb layout
is at least what gdm-s-g does, probably the same way. To get you
started:

  $ apt-get source gdm3/unstable
  $ cd gdm3-3.0.4/
  $ quilt diff -P 01_language
  $ rgrep -w GDM_LANG .

>     Layout widget borrowed from ubiquity fails with error: AttributeError:
> gtk.VBox' object has no attribute 'present' if loaded. This is in
> the code path inherited from gdm-community-greeter - the debugging
> is in progress.

Seems like what's going wrong is:

        if self.window.get_sensitive() and self.retain_focus:
            self.window.present()

I think you may be misusing the layout widget, which is no GtkWindow,
contrary to your other main widgets (namely: langselect and
autologin). If you try using it like a GtkWindow, no wonder things go
wrong.

I think the layout widget and the langselect one must be part of the
same GtkWindow (think: future panel).

> ## Near-future plans:

> Fix bugs preventing layout widget from loading and connect it with "real"
> python code talking to xklavier instead of stubs.

I can't wait. Does Ubiquity use xklavier?

> week #9 plans.

This would be great if these plans were prepared *before* our next
meeting (tomorrow).

> ## Additional notes:

>     From now on till the end of GSoC every week new version will be tagged in
> git repo - this should aid with testing.

:)

Bye,
--
  intrigeri <intrig...@boum.org>