If we want Tails host and guest VM to share the same image, we need to
figure out a means to get the VM running without loading Tor and having
applications reference the http proxy as well as other anonymity
components, such as ttdnsd (Tor DNS daemon). This isn't an easy task as
there are many means by which Tails works in order to prevent accidental
leakage. So I've been thinking about two possible mechanisms for making
this happen:

- Use a union file system whiting out network.d scripts, rc.d scripts, and
configs scripts as necessary, as well as replacing config scripts where
possible
- Make a snapshot of the /etc directory prior to executing any of the
config/chroot_local-hooks and use that within the VM

Neither of these are ideal. The first will create a monolithic file
containing information from many of the different setup files in config,
the latter might exclude something that actually offers utility for even
the VM.

Another, two much more complex approach would be:
- In each file, have flags that specify if these are VM actions, host
actions, or both (I don't know how exactly this would work, but there
should be some means of doing this)
- Have a duplicate set of config files for the VM

Cheers,
David