Hi,

Romeo Papa wrote (13 Jul 2015 16:45:09 GMT) :
> Here are some results:

Thanks a lot!

> * Remarkably, it appears that LZ4 High compression is faster than LZ4 vanilla,
>   and even slightly faster than GZIP with the lowest compression setting.
> Could
>   LZ4 -Xhc become the new favoured 'quick-build' compression setting for the
>   future?

Sounds like it would be great! Of course, we'll first want to run the
same benchmarks on other kinds of hardware, since what you've tested
on is far from being the most commonly used platform for building
Tails these days.

> * Would you prefer to wait for Debian to upstream the squashfs-tools 4.3
>   or would you be willing to distribute a custom build from the tails deb
> repo?
>   I could submit the files I used to build squashfs-tools 4.3.

The advantages brought by 4.3 (15% time saving for dev builds on your
hardware) seem very interesting, but IMO not worth diverging from
Debian and having more delta to maintain ⇒ anyone who wants to see
this happen faster, please submit a debdiff against current sid
packaging to the Debian BTS.

Thanks again :)

Cheers,
--