Hi,

And then I expressed some concerns with how this terminology
integrates with the bigger picture on
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8776,

Something that needs clarified is precisely where does Tails start and end.

If Tails is a system made up of individual parts (like most) then the Tails experience must include the syslinux boot experience, which conflicts with 'Start Tails' in the Greeter actually "starting" Tails. Tails is also the only thing on the USB Stick when installed.

However, most people will not want or need to see this screen, such is the logic behind having the timer to auto boot. But that doesn't mean the process isn't part of Tails, especially since it is sandwiched between the self-tests and the users intended experience.

I hypothesize that after testing, most users will agree that the entire experience is a Tails experience *and* that 'Start Tails' from the Greeter makes the most sense since people start a computer and arrive at the desktop environment. This highlights the temporary stop at the syslinux boot dialog as the quagmire but we would need to compare the Greeter location to 'Start Tails' as the syslinux boot menu options directly.

The logic behind 'Start Tails' in the Greeter is solid, though, since people will *not* want to start Tails without checking or editing the settings to ensure that they are safe, something we emphasize in documentation and in our upcoming Greeter experience.

Whether we keep displaying the syslinux boot dialog or not (temporarily or forever), we need to make sure we establish a consensus on the form Tails takes and communicate that with consistency in the experience.

sajolida, who still was wise enough to turn
the problem into something that needs to be user-tested:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8238 (which will need to have the
doc updated accordingly, by the way).

But let's test :)

Wordlife,