On 04/04/2017 11:49 AM, anonym wrote:
>> So at the moment, I'm still in this situation where build fails, and I
>> retry and retry until at some point it succeeds. I didn't have much time
>> to work on that yet. I'll come back to you when I workaround this issue,
>> one way or another.
> A simple workaround for when you have cached everything needed for the build
> (i.e. after your have successfully built *once*) is to add "offline" to the
> TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS environment variable. Of course, getting to the point
> when you have everything cached will be painful, but at least you will be
> able to rebuild as much as you like without risk of network issues.

Good idea, didn't try this option yet. I guess that it will avoid any
`apt` request, however what about the Tor download that is done with
`wget` ? This is not cached I think, and it's quite a long download, one
that fails

> Here's a crazier idea to explore:
>
> * run apt-cacher-ng on the host (base your configuration on
> vagrant/provision/assets/acng.conf)
> * add "extproxy" to TAILS_BUILD_OPTIONS
> * set the http_proxy environment variable to point to the host's
> apt-cacher-ng instance
> * the "offline" option doesn't work with external proxies, but you can set
> Offline mode in apt-cacher-ng's configuration instead
> * sadly apt-cacher-ng lacks an option for retrying failed downloads, but if
> you can find any other HTTP proxy that can, set that up as well and then
> configure apt-cacher-ng to use it as a parent proxy itself (see the `Proxy`
> option).

One the same line: did you guys consider having apt-cacher in another VM
? As a beginner, I'm still at the point where I modify the VM here and
there, and at some point I'm not sure anymore what I modified, and in
the end destroy the VM to start again from scratch. In these situations,
having another VM for apt-cacher would be a real delight.

> Happy hacking! Let us know if you find out something about the last point
> (parent proxy that retries). If it improves your situation without using much
> resources we probably want to add it to the VM's default apt-cacher-ng setup.

Yep I'll tell you as soon as something interesting happens on my side ;)

Cheers.