On 04/22/2017 11:23 PM, anonym wrote:
> Arnaud:
>> On 04/22/2017 06:16 PM, anonym wrote:
>>> If the fix I proposed above isn't good enough for you, I suggest
>>> you wait and return to this issue in a few months -- there's an
>>> ongoing rework of how we use Vagrant which moves in the direction
>>> where each build will start with a completely fresh (first boot)
>>> builder VM, and whenever a build finishes (success or not) the VM
>>> is immediately destroyed and undefined. So I think your problem
>>> will just go away once this work is merged into our main branches.
>>> Fair enough?
>> Alright I didn't know that. This will indeed solve the problem. Be sure
>> to include an easy way to see the logs when a build fails, and to let
>> the VM alive so that one can log in and investigate ;)
> Which logs? The .buildlog is what you see written to stdout/stderr, so I
> guess you mean something else (?).

Indeed that's what I mean, it's all on stdout/stderr you're right.

> Any way, on failure the VM is not destroyed unless the `forcecleanup` option
> is used, and on success it is destroyed unless `keeprunning` option is used,
> so I think you'll have what you want. Furthermore there's a `rescue` option
> which, when set, implies `keeprunning` *and* will prevent the build directory
> to be cleaned up after a failure, so that is an improvement in this area I
> think you'll agree.

Indeed it sounds appealing ;)

> Actually, ss our most active user of the build system outside of the "core"
> Tails contributors, I'd really be interested in your feedback on what we have
> done so far, and if you can think of improvements vs the workflow you have.
> If you are interested, please checkout the wip/11972-use-vagrant-in-jenkins
> branch and play around. :) Please backup your vagrant/.vagrant directory in
> case you want to return back to the old build system!

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try asap, which means in 2 or 3 weeks.

> Another change with this branch is that from now on the base box (i.e.
> original builder VM image) is built locally (using only Debian packages,
> instead of downloading a big binary blob from us that you have to trust).
> Since your Internet connection is so glitchy I suggest that you setup
> apt-cacher-ng on your host system and run this the first time you use this
> branch:
>
>     http_proxy=http://192.168.121.1:3142 rake basebox:create
>
> i.e. so packages are cached on your host when building the base box, so if
> there's a network issue and you have to restart the caching will help you.

Ok I was thinking about setting up my own apt-cacher-ng instance indeed.
It's one more reason to do so, I can't delay anymore :)

>> I guess this rework implies that you move `apt-cacher-ng out of the
>> builder, right ? Do you plan to include it in another VM, or you will
>> just remove it completely, and let people handle it by themselves ?
> The cache is moved to a separate VM disk which is the only thing kept between
> builds. I think you'll like this! :)

Yep this is something I need badly, having apt-cacher on the host, or
another VM, or wherever, anywhere but NOT on the builder machine. I
should have started by that, it's nothing complicated and it's well
documented.

Ok thanks for all the details, I'll try the branch you mentioned and
give you some feedback.

Cheers !