Jack Burton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/03/2008 03:37:02 PM:

> A quick fix could be to patch the validator, so it doesn't complain
> about unnamed highway=secondary or highway=tertiary ways, so long as
> they contain no more than say 3 nodes and have length of less than some
> arbitrary cutoff (say, 15 metres?).

IMO. I think the ways should be named.  It is useful enough for a routing
ap to use the names, and a rendering app should be intelligent enough to
not render names for short ways that connect to a way of the same name.
Relations may help here - one day.

A validator patch to ignore short ways, is always going to miss some other
short way.

It is easy enough to shut the validator up, if that is the intention.  Use
a tag like name:link="name".  However, that is probably not a great deal
better than using highway=secondary_link to start with, but it will
probably render better today.

Ian.