A number of people seem to misread the lanes tag as total lanes on the
road, not lanes in each direction.  A case could be made that it
should be total lanes, as that would allow for asymmetric roads to be
modelled. I suspect that a lot of the lanes=1 tags really mean that it
is a narrow, unmarked road, not one lane each way.

Stephen