From: Nick Hocking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: talk-au@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:19:03 PM
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Where is commonwealth place

Neil,

I think we may have "Commonwealth Place" wrong.

There is now sinage at the flagpoles indicating that the general area is
"Commonwealth Place". In this are whenever a street sign is for a place, as in
"Parkes Place" it will say  "Parkes PL". At the new roundabout there are brand
new street signs for "Bowen PL" and "Dorothy Tangney PL".

Therefore I'm pretty sure both the "Commonwealth Place" signs are locality
pointers rather than street signs. In fact the National Gallery still
advertises itself as in "Parkes Place".

The one exception to the PL rule seems to be if the "Place" is in the middle of
the name.  Right in Line with the National Library, on the bit or pavement
we've just called "Commonwealth Place" is a street sigh saying "Parkes Place
West".  GSV also has this sign quite readable.  This is a bit strange since the
national library advertises itself as on "Parkes Place"

There was one other "Parkes Place West" sign, which caused me to tag the whole
left length as "Parkes Place West". This also shows in GSV at the corner of
KIng George terrace, but the sign is now gone. The finance dept occupies the
right hand bit of the treasury building and advertises as "Parkes place West"
even thouigh the stree sign at the corner of Newlands Street says "Parles PL" -
also just visible in GSV.

The one "Parkes Place West" sign left is on a very old post and I wouldn't be
surprised to see it go soon.

http://www.nationalcapital.gov.au/visiting/attractions/commonwealth_place.asp
seems to indicate that all the roads are in fact "Parkes Place".

What should I do. I think I should change both "Commonwealth Place" and "Parkes
Place West" to Parkes Place. Then since I can't decide where "Bowen PL" turns
into "Bowen DR" I think I may rename them both Parkes Place as well :-)

I'm about to edit in the new roundabout and a couple of one wayness changes.
Unless anyone has violent objections, by then, then "Commonwealth Place" will
morph from a street into a POI.

Nick