b.schulz...@scu.edu.au wrote:
> As it stands this hasn't really been addressed. Generally I just mark
> what's on the ground, ie the natural=wood boundary as this tends to
> give a reasonable indication of the national park boundary anyway.
> Obviously this has limits, but unless some government authority grants
> us use of their maps there's nothing we can really do about it.
>
> It's worth noting that I don't believe that anyone's actually tried
> approaching a government body about it.
>
> As for marine boundaries go, why isn't a set of GPS co-ordinates
> sufficient to map out various zones? Unless there's some form of
> copyright on the location of the zone itself it should be ok just to
> draw onto the map purely based on these numbers.

I guess the issue is similar to using street names off a government
provided source - we would have to copy "factual" information, rather
than get out on the ground. I've found a few goverment agencies that
provide the polygons of national parks etc, but they seem to want to
charge for it

An example - Marine park list from DSE:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parkweb.vic.gov.au%2Fresources%2F17_1990.pdf&ei=r-FISbr6FKWsswK39MHyDQ&usg=AFQjCNEVG5JGEpjq8PJHhy4WjcDiUBi9Cg&sig2=qzkD4ifwSoyvytO9n3P_sw

On a similar note, does anyone have polygons of the Oz states. Would
like them to use to extract the OSM data for the garmin map creation
prcoess, rather than the oversized square approach I'm using at the moment.

Matt