--- On Sun, 24/5/09, Mark Pulley <mrpul...@lizzy.com.au> wrote:
> I had been thinking about the same question. I have
> tagged a couple of causeways as fords, but this implies that
> you have to drive through water, whereas most causeways are
> either (1) dry most of the time or (2) designed to let water
> under them through pipes except during floods. Would
> bridge=yes be a suitable alternative to the second option
> (even though it strictly speaking isn't a bridge)?

Wikipedia has 2 distinct entries, a ford is something close to the usual
concrete slab I'm thinking/refering to, the US version of a causeway looks like
a built up piece of land acting like a low bridge, although they do seem to
have a Western Australian reference as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_(crossing)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causeway

Looking at the photos above a ford looks the closest to what I'd call a
causeway.