> Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 02:49:56 -0700
> From: delta_foxt...@yahoo.com
> To: talk-au@openstreetmap.org
> Subject: [talk-au] Cheap data logger
>

> I'm wondering if anyone knows of any cheap GPS data loggers that I can lend
> out to people, I'm thinking postal delivery workers here, that in and off
> itself it won't be worth stealing, something without a screen.
>
> I'm sure there are other situations this could be useful as well, but it
> would most likely need a battery that will last 6 hours or a cig socket plug
> maybe a suction cup to get a half decent reception in a car.
>
> Does anyone know of something like this?

I've had great results with the Holux M241. $110 might not exactly be
chicken-feed, but it's so small, and simple-looking that I doubt it will walk
off on its own. Johnny Appleseed stocks them in Oz, now.

A big advantage is the ease of use. It's practically set 'n' forget, which is
great if you're loaning it / them out.

* Logs by time (1s, 5s, 10s, 15s, 30s, 60s, 120s), or distance (50m, 100m,
150m, 300m, 500, 1000m).
* can be set to "autolog" on power-up
* runs off cig socket - cable supplied - or AA battery if there's no vehicle to
hand.
* 130,000 waypoints, or thereabouts.

Definitely worth considering. It's the only GPS device I've got; but all I feel
I really need. Has got a little confused on foot in some tight city (Sydney)
streets, but performs admirably when it can "see" the sky. Even on the
motorbike, train, or inside them tin-cage car thingies it's seems never to have
been out by more than a few meters.

Heck, if you're a Sydney or Central Coaster I'd be happy to loan you mine for a
week to help you decide!