--- On Wed, 17/6/09, Liz <ed...@billiau.net> wrote:

> It's a problem given to all computer science students to
> solve:
> "the travelling salesman".
> The more points to cover, the more processing power it uses
>
> which makes the way the human brain can solve those
> problems really cool.

The difference between people and computers, computers brute force, although
they can at times improve search times by getting more efficent search
algorithms.

However on the other hand humans tend to cheat, in some respect, while we can't
usually crunch numbers in the same brute force manner as computers, we tend to
pattern match really well, it helped during evolution if we could efficiently
match friends or foes, dangers or harmless things quickly. This is why we
usually don't remember names as well as faces, it's just the way our brains
have evolved to help us survive in the past.