Darrin Smith wrote:

> If one was really trying to hunt someone down with OSM, a carefull
> study of their edit history would most likely reveal information about
> their location anyway.

Yes, but long term I can see people using openstreetmap data just for
navigation, and having their traces would be very useful for traffic
modelling purposes to improve the routing algorithms. In this case the only
real information OSM has on these people are their traces, so we would need
some sort of protection in place if they are worried about this sort of
thing.

One solution might be to always drop the last and first N minutes,
kilometres, turns, etc. from every journey, where N is a random number
chosen uniformly from a fairly wide range (between 5 and 10 minutes).

This would ensure that most of the travelling information is kept, but no
information about start points and destinations are. These end points would
be less likely to be useful for road-speed modelling anyway.

Also, does everyone here realise that private traces still show up for
everyone in JOSM/Potlatch/etc. (without any timestamp or user information)?
It just means that the files are not visible in your traces area on the
website. Ie. the gps points themselves are still publically accessible
through the API, you just can't tell who made them or at what time they were
made.

- David