Thanks.  I've now installed Sun JRE.

But JOSM doesn't work for me.  A JOSM screen comes up, sometimes with a menu
bar at the top, and sometimes not.  Which ever it is, it doesn't respond to
clicks or keystrokes and has to be aborted ("not responding").

Luckily, JOSM-WebStart ( http://josm.openstreetmap.de/download/josm.jnlp ) does
work.  So that's a giant leap forwards for today.