I'm just still not sure if we should categorise paths so they display
correctly with the current limitations of a rendering algorithm.
When reading the main wiki
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Cycleway ) I understand the
definition of cycleway to mean bicycle only paths or paths created
specifically for bicycles.  So rail-trails don't really fall into this
category.
http://www.railtrails.org.au/trails/

Railtrails were not designed predominantly for bicycles, and most sections
near urban centres would predominantly be used by pedestrians.  I lived near a
disused track and saw it develop into a rail-trail.

I personally don't care as I often ride a bike, but I think the map should be
consistant and the only way to achieve this is to use path and then describe
the properties.  Opencyclemap / openhikingmap / openhorsemap etc can then
render the appropriate map.

 Here is an example of why it is best to use the path tag for shared use paths
http://www.informationfreeway.org/?lat=-37.81133383418217&lon=145.39752250272988&zoom=15&layers=B0000F000F
track 10 is really a fire-access track (DSE) with the majority of traffic
being foot.  This has been categorised as a bike path because I assume it was
surveyed that way.

regards,

Evan