G'day,
I'm not saying don't use cycleway, but instead use it only for these exclusive
paths.
Just choosing a specific tag because of the way it renders on the main map is
not a good idea, this is why a variety of maps are appearing to please
specific groups and will improve with time.
Sorting out the rendering is another issue, first I think the data should be
consistent, and the guidelines unbiased.

>It seems that the status quo is "What do you think the primary purpose is?"
I think this logic is slowly changing, because it's much more useful if
someone knows they can/cannot use a path because they are on foot/bike/horse.
If we continue to tag shared paths as cycleway it is much less useful than
knowing all the properties of a path.

The best solution I think would be to use the path tag and then a bike map
could look for the cycle=yes tag and display it in green like the
http://www.informationfreeway.org map already does.
Deciding a paths primary use is problematic and it would be better to describe
it purpose.  The best example here is the rail-trails, on Sundays you see
maybe 50% or more of traffic being cyclist but on weekdays it could be less
then 10%.  This obviously varies greatly depending on regions but is just an
observation from the trails I know.

If the guidelines are unbiased we will attract many more interest groups to
this great project, each having the option to display the map the way they see
correct.

Evan