The current use of highway=residential/highway=unclassified is almost on par
with what the germans use it for, it is the lowest road used for the
interconnecting grid, residential is usually the lowest in towns/cities and
track is the lowest everywhere.

Can someone suggest changes to the tagging guidelines to make this clear?

I'm not saying you shouldn't use residential if you think it's residential, but
if the road is wider and more used than residential, but less than tertiary
this seems to be what happens else where and if we leave things as is on the
wiki people are tagging rural roads as residential.