I've been marking all members in a relation as a role "member" not
forward/backward as we don't have official designations such as
east/west/north/south like they do on US interstates.

I'm not saying I'm right but it is less work :)

You have ref=NHA20 for NHA20 in SA, but I'm not sure what to do here, because
the road is tagged as A20 in a NH shield, just so South Australia can be
different I guess :)

I think I'd just tag it as ref=20, network=A and then we can add a rule to show
NH shields for these routes for addr:state=South Australia