I've come up with the following patch:

http://map-data.bigtincan.com/osm-template.xml-patch

It does a number of things, including the SQL/mapnik config to show Australian
shields and I also added section needed so (4WD Only) will render on the end of
road names. It also adds a section for miniature railways and stopping
boundary=administrative names from rendering

I'd like to submit it but I think we need to submit SVG shields at the same
time.

I also added in BBQs, benches and picnic_sites, will need to pull the SVGs for
those off Ash's website to upload as well.

Most likely this patch will need to be broken up into section but this is a
first draft so to speak.