I was unaware of OSGeo AU/NZ but if their goals are similarly aligned
it might have already solved the issue of needing a legal entity.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatra...@gmail.com>
Date: 2009/8/29
Subject: Canada Chapter
To: lo...@osmfoundation.org
Cc: Talk-CA OpenStreetMap <talk...@openstreetmap.org>,
deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>,
t...@openstreetmap.org

Hi,
On the talk-ca list it's still in the works (i put forward the idea,
but no responses yet).
Once the Canada Import is done... that'll be a BIG difference in Map
quality.  :-)

But anyway, being a local foundation might let us work closer with
Natural Resource Canada, and with Non-profits and helping them build
up their own maps that they provide to their own members.
(and perhaps meet-up.com could help spur growth...  but that's another story)

OSGeo -Ottawa exists and OS GeoBC exists... and Austrialia / New Zealand exists
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Aust-NZ

(I think it's John Smith thats in Australia but im not sure)?
Anyway, im watching as close as i can to whats going on down there,
and trying to understand the relationship between the OSM and OSGeo.
I think it's the licensing issue (because industry uses Prop. Software
-ArchGIS (but it's now compatible, and can work with it).   Once OSM
gets bigger (in these next 2 years of fast growth s-curve, more
industry will be looking at use more professionally, (since we will
out-map TeleAtlas & NavTeq) :-)

Anyway, i schedualed time to make that conference call.  (Hopefully by
then, we'll have more details).  I'll be on that mailing list, as soon
as it's available :)

Cheers,
Sam Vekemans
Across Canada Trails