2009/9/22 John Henderson <j...@talk21.com>:

> Bicycle lanes marked on roads are usually more than a suggestion.  They
> confer legal obligations.  Some excerpts from the Australian Road Rules:
>
>  "A driver (except the rider of a bicycle) must not drive in a
> bicycle lane, unless the driver is permitted to drive in the
> bicycle lane under this rule or rule 158." (rule 153)
>
> "The rider of a bicycle riding on a length of road with a
> bicycle lane designed for bicycles travelling in the same
> direction as the rider must ride in the bicycle lane unless it is
> impracticable to do so." (rule 247)

You're talking about bicycle lanes, we're not (at least I'm not, and
it didn't sound like swanili was either).  We are talking about roads
with a big yellow bicycle painted in the middle of the road - not in a
separate lane.  They are certainly not designated as bicycle only, as
there are no other lanes.  These are bicycle routes, but on
residential roads.

See http://tinyurl.com/l4yx8t for an example in Google streetview.  If
you follow this route a few blocks further north, it does move to
dedicated bicycle lanes, and then later into cycleways in a park.  But
at this point, these are just normal, low traffic residential roads
that also happen to be part of a suggested bike route. The painted
bicycles mark the route for cyclists, and warn other drivers to expect
more cyclists than normal.

Stephen