Hi.

2009/9/26 Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com>

> As for roads until we get some clarification from ABS as to when a road is
> moved then the boundary moves with it don't use it for roads and don't move
> the boundary to match the road.  Particularly those that have been surveyed
> and no longer match the ABS boundary closely.

I don't think we need to worry about going back to the ABS too much.

The ABS data on boundaries is not authoritative, in that there are a number
of areas where it is known to be incorrect.

In those situations where their data shows the boundary following some
feature (e.g. a road) that has been independently surveyed, they feature
would clearly match the survey data. As to whether the boundary also matches
the survey data, I guess that's up to the person doing the survey.

As the ABS data shows a boundary on the wrong side of my house I
investigated where the real boundaries lie. I am in the corner of a suburb,
and the ABS data places houses on my side of the street in the wrong suburb.
I found that in some cases roads do form the boundary, but in some places
you get things like individual blocks being part of the neighbouring suburb
when the houses next to them do not. Basically the ABS data is more
simplistic than the real boundaries.

For the purposes of worrying if a boundary moves if the road moves, then the
ABS is the wrong place to get this from. If you have access to a
non-copyright source that can give you the boundary information at this
level of detail then great. Otherwise I suspect that in these cases, saying
that the road IS the boundary is accurate enough.

 - Ben Kelley.