2009/10/2 James Livingston <doc...@mac.com>

> On 30/09/2009, at 10:25 PM, Emilie Laffray wrote:
>
> I really like to see the vegetation cover and the forest!! What are they?
> Shapefiles? If they are shapefiles, they come with their own projection
> files and therefore can be easily converted into another coordinate using
> ST_Transform inside Postgis.
>

> At least some of them can be converted with shp2osm[0]. I converted the
> World Heritage Area file on my machine, and just uploaded one of the
> areas[1]. Does it look okay to people? If so, I'll go ahead and do the rest
> of the WHA data.
>
> I also added a note to the new data.australia.gov.au wiki page[2] that
> Hugh created.

By the way, I apologize that I haven't been able to try converting some of
the files. I have been swamped by work. If people wants to try, they will
want to use gdal_polygonize.

@John
Regarding tags, when we worked on the Corine import in France, we set up a
page on the wiki where people were making their suggestions. We then had a
small debate on what was better and then we voted.
When it was too tight on terms of vote, it was one "benevolent leader" that
ended up choosing which tags we would be going with or not.
I am not saying that it is the way to go with all the new data that you have
but it is one way of proceeding once you are done analyzing all the data
that you have obtained.

And no, I am trying to preach anything here. I am just explaining how we
proceeded on the French mailing list. It took us several months to end up
completing the upload. And it is still uploading.

Emilie Laffray