The problem is you will find not with the metal railway carriages but with
the coating on the windows. I find my GPS works well in almost all carriages
(I get accuracy typically of 6 m).

Occasionally though, I get no signal in carriages that have been fine in the
past, the only difference seems to be in the glass, some of which has a very
obvious metallic coating.

Maybe you could go to a station and try it out in a cariage that was waiting
to leave.