2009/10/27 Jim Croft <jim.cr...@gmail.com>:
> . A road that has never never existed but is/was 'planned' - e.g.
> Monash Dr in Canberra

Since getting access to some data sources we can now map these without
infringing copyright, in future we may actually be given access to
data that actually has roads and it would be useful to mark
non-existent roads so they don't get re-imported the next time etc.
This is the only case that this discussion is about.

> . A road that used to exist but is now 'overgrown', 'rerouted', washed
> away, etc.

If it were railway it would be tagged railway=disused, I don't see why
these can't be tagged highway=disused.

> . A road that never existed other than on a map, either by mistake or
> by intent (e.g. easter eggs)

These shouldn't be mapped, there is suggestions on what you could do
on the aussie tagging guidelines page.