On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:46 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/12/16 John Smith <deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com>:
> > Well the first part is mostly off-road type enthusiests that could
> > help improve the amount of GPX data available to make maps.
>
> Actual another demographic that might be good to target and give
> examples highlighting the benefits of OSM would be bush walkers/hikers
> etc...

Mountain bikers, road cyclists...pretty much anyone who has been
disenfranchised by maps and particularly satnavs focusing almost exclusively
on the needs of car drivers...

Has anyone on this list had any success approaching groups to encourage them
to join? It occurs to me that, done the right way, it ought to be possible
to get groups like mountain bikers to at the very least contribute their
.gpx files, which many of them are collecting anyway. Even a network of
totally undescribed "highway=track bicycle=yes" is worth something, and it's
far easier to add the metadata than to add the route.

Steve