On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM, John Henderson <snow...@gmx.com> wrote:

> I'm unclear about some issues concerning copyright.  I'd like to put up
> a couple of scenarios and get opinions.
>
> Let's say that many roads in a town are mapped but unnamed in OSM.  And
> street signs are missing.
>
> I go to the local tourist information place and start asking for names.
>  They give me a photocopy of a street directory which shows all the
> names.  But this photocopy has a copyright notice.
>
> Can I enter names from that page into OSM for the already-mapped ways?

This is very similar to a question I asked recently on the main OSM list.
There is a real absence of copyright lawyers (let alone, Australian
copyright lawyers) around the place, to give definitive answers. Since the
issue seems to revolve around how "systematic" and "substantial" the copying
of information is, it probably depends how many streets are in question. If
there are 100 streets in the area, and you can get the names of 80 by
observation or other means, and you copy 20, my hunch is that's ok... but
then, I'm a bit more casual about this, than other people.

> Second scenario.  I have the guidebook for a route.  This guidebook is
> essential for following the route because of a lack of signage on the
> route itself.  The guidebook gives turn-by-turn instructions.  The
> roads/paths are already mapped on OSM.  Can I gather them together into
> an OSM route relation using the information from the guidebook?

That's trickier. It depends what the route is, who invented it, etc. For
example, I don't think you could reasonably add routes from "Bike Tours
around Victoria", which were researched, invented, and described by Kate
Blunden.  But if you're talking about some route which is well known in
public knowledge, and you're just relying on the guidebook for a definitive
description...I don't know. This seems like an area to tread more carefully.

I've come across a similar situation with mapping bike routes that
incorporate back streets, with the difference that those tend to be
physically signed.

Steve