On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Richard Colless wrote:
>  Liz wrote:
> Be brave
> nothing ventured, nothing gained.
> a circular way (usually)
> one way (get that bit right)
> highway=type
> junction=roundabout
> may have a name, but not often
> join the other roads on
>
>  Following on from this and some earlier discussion about naming
>  roundabouts.....
>
>  I was testing the Garmin's route instructions on some familiar roads
>  today. Normally it says "SW on Northern Road to Roundabout", followed by
>  "2nd exit on roundabout" or similar. but one part came out as ""SW on
>  Northern Road to Northern Road", which seemed pretty meaningless. Checked
>  the roundabout in question - yes, it is named as "Northern Road". I've
>  deleted the name, and when it gets updated, I'll try that route again.
>  Seems like a good case for not naming roundabouts, though.
>
>  Richard

There are roundabouts with names - so "left at Kissell's roundabout" is a
usable direction.

I see stupid similar things on Garmin map without any special intersection eg
"Smith Road ahead" when I know perfectly well I'm travelling on Smith Road
already. It's not a helpful piece of information, and I think is more likely
on a dual carriageway .