2010/1/7 John Henderson <snow...@gmx.com>:
> I notice that multi-values can be used with some tags.  For example, a
> road with two names (eg, local name and highway name) can have both
> names listed in the name tag separated by a semi-colon.

Actually we are trying to reduce this from happening by moving the
highway information, not the highway=* tag to a relation to reduce the
clutter and make things more efficient to parse.

> Can the same trick be used generally?

Yes, but you are better to use a relation to group ways into routes,
rather than trying to cram everything into the same tags.

> The Bicentennial National Trail is primarily a horse route.
> Secondarily, it is a hiking route (as well as a mountain bike route).

If you try and load too much info into the same tags it probably won't
render, use a relation instead and it might, or you may need to nudge
someone to get it to render but using a relation is more likely to
render than trying to get complex tag parsing to occur.

> Is "route=horse;hiking" valid syntax?

Yes, but it's unlikely to render.