2010/1/16 Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 12:16 PM, James Livingston <doc...@mac.com> wrote:
>>
>> It's all a matter of tradeoffs and what is most important to you - being
>> able to use it for whatever you want, or getting the most data in OSM.
>
> Well said. Funny thing is, they're not independent - i.e. making OSM
> data more usable for whatever anyone wants leads to more users, which
> (arguably) leads to more mappers...

Everything works well in theory :)

Anyway Brendon and I spoke on the phone for almost an hour, and there
might be a compromise that doesn't require any input from OSM-F to
make it work.

If we can get people making editors to add tags to changesets based on
your license preference then any PD data, even if it's changed later
to become ODBL, can be collected.

Alternatively you can just add a license=[PD|ODBL] to the changeset
when you upload it, original I thought to add this to every
way/node/relation, but the changeset might be good enough, as long as
the code collecting only PD data figures out what is new, or only what
is edited from existing PD data.

I'm planning to add a feature enhancement request to JOSM based on
this, but would be interested in what others think of it.