I wrote:

> Later today I hope to get a chance to try some of those ideas out.
>
> I'll post back any findings.

OK, I'm the first to admit I'm operating outside my knowledge comfort
zone here.  But I've tried adding:

        --generate-sea=polygons,no-sea-sectors,close-gaps=2000

to the mkgmap command, and I've added:

        natural=sea [0x32 resolution 10]
        natural=land [0x27 resolution 10]

as the first two lines of the mkgmap "polygons" style file.

There's no improvement in the rendering of the ocean.

As I'm making a Garmin map which includes New Zealand, I had a look
there.  The same problem exists - the ocean looks like land.

John H