On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 22:06 +1100, Andy Botting wrote:

> I've dabbled with a few little tram projects over the last couple of
> years, so I'm interested in the state of the tram information for
> Melbourne.
>
> I've noticed that the stops in OSM are a little inconsistent and
> incomplete, so I'd like to get them fixed.

>   2. Is there a particular format/method for uploading this
> information? I guess I would need to manually remove the existing
> stops first before pushing the new data in.

Im worried about a technique like that.  You plan to remove all existing
stops (whether survey'd or nearmapped or whatever) to be replaced by a
mass data set.  Just ask around how well that worked for the BP import
and how many nodes ended up doubled up, or in the wrong location?

If youve been on-the-ground and surveyed the data for the tram stops and
simply wished to bulk upload verified data, that would be one thing, but
if you plan on removing possibly surveyed data, just for the sake of
importing a government supplied GIS list, I think the consequences
should be understood that you could be removing accurate data to replace
it with less-accurate data, unless you plan on reviewing/surveying every
node yourself?

David