The only issue that you may have is that you only want a part of the way to
be part of the route.  In that case you need to split the way into three
distinct sections.  The section before the way becomes part of the route,
the part of the way which is on the route, and the part of the way which is
after the route.

Then you just add the section which is part of the route to your route
relation.

Pete