From: John Smith [mailto:deltafoxtrot...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 1 April 2010 8:43 PM
To: Kevin & Ruth Sheather
Cc: Talk-au@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Tagging Outback Australia

On 1 April 2010 20:30, Kevin & Ruth Sheather
<mobilesheath...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> to be supplied by Caltex the site fuel supplier. But there is also a
> restaurant, a bar that doubles as the local pub, a coffee shop/snack bar,
> cabin accommodation and tent sites. I travelled through the area in August
> last year and will be through again this year.

As long as you document it it doesn't matter which way you go.

> So the question is, should the elements be shown as separate nodes and
> individually tagged or as multiple tags to a single node.

This is a catch 22, ideally everything should be individual nodes to
make searching easier, but that's essentially tagging incorrectly
because they're all physically part of the same building, usually, so
it's a single point.

> Also some highways and major roads are tagged but the names are not
> rendering so are not appearing on the map download that I have in
MapSource
> or that I load into my GPS. The tagging looks different to that shown in

I have no idea what mapsource is, but it doesn't seem to be using
information from relations. The relations group the route reference +
name so that through towns the local street name can be used without
trying to cram everything into 1 or so tags.

If you want more details on using route relations there is a few pages
on the wiki you can look to:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Tagging_hig
hway_ref.3D.2A_and_name.3D.2A
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Custom_Highway_Shields

The Australia route relation tagging was based on US tagging:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highways_Relations

> Potlatch examples in the Wiki so I wonder if that is the reason. I am
> reluctant to change them until I understand the system a bit better, but
> bringing highway information up to date is one thing that I want to
achieve
> during this trip.

Most major highways seem to be done, although the more GPS data that
can be provided for some of the more remote ones the better to improve
the alignment the better.

Also most back roads aren't completed or even started especially dirt roads.

There was a lot of roads added in Qld from the boundary data, but
these also need verifying and naming.

There were streets added in some places from Nearmap imagery, but lack
street names.

It really depends how much time and effort you want to put into this,
there is a LOT that could be done and the more planning you put into
things the better the outcome will be.

Are you planning to go to the next Brisbane mapping party by any chance?