On 9 May 2010 18:59, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> I'm not looking at discussing these, I'm just advising that if you are
> mapping then these things need to be taken into account.

Maybe not, but I have a few comments anyway.

> -  I found several ways that are tagged source=nearmap and are clearly not,
> likewise I found several that are clearly source=nearmap but are not tagged
> as such.  Nearmap has been good enough to permit the use of their imagery so
> make sure you tag it appropriately.

Perhaps we should be using some kind of attribution tag, not just
source tag to give credit to Nearmap, even though they don't
explicitly require it, the value and richness they've given to OSM
can't really be understated, especially in regional areas.

> -  Roads joined to admin boundaries or the admin boundaries tagged as roads.
> Particularly in nearmap areas this is a real pain when it comes to editing
> anything associated with it.  The ones I did see, the admin boundary does not
> even line up with the road on the nearmap imagery and to change it takes a
> serious amount of time.  If your mapping from nearmap or survey there is no
> justification for using an admin boundary as a road or joining a road to it,
> even for one node.

Admin boundaries are both valuable and an irritation, in the most
recent stable version of JOSM there is a filter option to hide
elements, although it would be nice if admin boundaries were hidden by
default but at least this is a start.

> 8.  Validator
>
> -  USE IT.

However don't take all the recommendations as gospel, while the
validator plugin is a useful reference it does give bad
recommendations at times, although bad recommendations should have
bugs filed about them to improve the overall accuracy.