On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Neil Penman <ianaf4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Only the vast majority of these were not sourced from Nearmap (except in
> some of the country areas not previously covered by Yahoo).  They may have
> been updated by somebody using nearmap imagery, mostly trivial changes, but
> they would have been originally created via survey or from Yahoo. Certainly
> names would not have been sourced from nearmap.  Wouldn't it would make more
> sense if the source tag was only applied to changesets?  Even that is not
> ideal as in one changeset multiple sources could  be used, ie survey for
> names, nearmap for layout.

Hmm, a source tag applied to changesets sort of makes sense, except that I
find changesets very nebulous and awkward objects to work with (in Potlatch,
anyway).

I personally have been doing a fair bit of what you describe, in Melbourne.
Mostly fixing stuff that was traced from MMBW - quite a lot of minor road
realignments, new dead-ends, roundabouts etc etc. I eventually settled on
changing the "source=MMBW" to "source:name=MMBW" and adding
"source=nearmap". Sometimes if I'm only changing a couple of points, I'll
tag those nodes individually.

Still, I add a lot of new stuff too: tracing landuse=retail, adding
highway=cycleway, quite a few laneways, and there are still a surprisingly
large number of streets missing in Melbourne. Oh, and a few major duplicated
roads (eg, Nepean Highway, South Road) need a lot of work: missing service
roads, missing cut-throughs, missing junctions, junctions that don't
exist...

Steve